Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 – 1½ pound hanger steak, pounded slightly thinner to tenderize
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime
- freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork then coat all in about 2 tablespoons of ghee and sprinkle with a bit of salt on top. Place on a baking sheet and in the oven for 45-50 minutes minutes until soft and tender.
- When sweet potatoes have about 20 minutes to go, place a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee then add sliced onion. Cook for about 5 minutes then add all the bell peppers. Let these onions and peppers cook down for about 15 minutes, tossing every couple minutes, until they are somewhat browned and soft. Remove and set aside. Keep cast iron skillet over medium heat and add more ghee, if needed (just to coat the bottom of the skillet).
- Pound meat with a meat tenderizer until about ¼ inch thin. In a small box, mix together all the spices. Pour spice mixture over both sides of meat and press into the meat. Place meat on the hot cast iron skillet and cook on both sides for about 3-4 minutes, until browned by medium rare-medium in the middle. Remove and set on cutting board. Let meat rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- Place the peppers and onions back in the warm skillet and toss, scraping the bottom of the pan. Place thinly sliced meat in the pan with the peppers and onion then squeeze ½ lime on top to coat meat and veggies.
- Cut sweet potatoes open and use a fork to smash the sweet potatoes. Then place the fajita mixture on top along with some freshly chopped cilantro and a little extra lime juice!
Recipe by: Juli at Paleomg.com