We all know how important exercise is to our health and the health of your new addition. But how should we modify exercise once we are pregnant? If we didn’t exercise before pregnancy, is it ok to start? What about after delivery? As always, you want to speak with your primary care physician, ObGyn, and/or midwife before modifying or starting an exercise program; but there are some basic guidelines to follow for your pregnancy when it comes to fitness – before, during, and after.
Healthy Weight for Healthy Baby
According to Babycenter.org, “If you’re not in a healthy range, losing or gaining weight may give you the boost you need to conceive. Getting to a healthier weight can also help you get your pregnancy off on the right foot”. Before you even decide to have a baby, a healthy weight is imperative to conception. Working out at boot camps such as Bootique Fitness can help your body be as healthy as possible to carry your pregnancy.
Recommended for Pregnant Women
During pregnancy, the following are guidelines apply if your pregnancy is low risk and you have checked with your healthcare provider to make sure you can continue an exercise program:
- Regular exercise, at least 3 times a week if not daily, is preferable to more random activity.
- During the second and third trimesters, avoid exercise that involves lying flat on your back because this allows less blood flow to your womb.
- Avoid exercising to the point of exhaustion or breathlessness. This is a sign that your baby and your body are getting less oxygen.
- Be aware that loss of balance could be harmful
- Avoid exercises that may cause trauma to the abdomen.
- Especially in the first trimester, drink plenty of fluids before and during exercise to avoid overheating.
- Include relaxation and stretching both before and after you exercise.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and complex carbohydrates. Exercise may require you to eat more calories.
Safe Exercise for Pregnant Women
Bootique always offers modifications for exercises that may require you to be on your back or directly on your stomach in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. The important message is that you DO NOT stop exercising in pregnancy! Just modify and be mindful of your energy level as so you don’t over exhaust yourself. Belonging to a safe and effective fitness boot camp like Bootique is an added bonus in pregnancy; you have someone else looking out for you! You may not realize when you need to slow down; the professional trainers at Bootique will help you not only with modifications, but can look out for signs of exhaustion and fatigue so you don’t over do it. You can also choose to work with a Bootique trainer privately for complete customization and convenience.
Start Early – Stay Healthy
The most common time women focus on their fitness is after pregnancy. Bootque will help you get back to pre-pregnancy weight and fitness level quickly, efficiently, and at a time of day that is convenient for you and your baby’s schedule! Even if you didn’t exercise regularly, or at all, in your pregnancy, Bootique is meant for every fitness level. Why not get a start on your fitness and be a great example to your new little one?