Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 min
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasonings
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 jar green chile salsa
- 3 eggs
- 1 package cassava tortillas or almond flour tortillas
For the garnishes
1 cup plantain chips, crushed
1/4 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- 1 fresno pepper, sliced
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- green onions, roughly chopped
For the coconut sour cream
- 1 14-ounce can of coconut cream
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a large pan, add 2 tablespoons ghee. Once warm, add the onion and peppers and sauté until peppers are browned and onions are translucent. Then add jalapeño, garlic and a bit of salt and cook for 2 more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and break into small pieces. Cook until no pink remains and then add taco seasonings and salt, to taste. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. To that same bowl, add the salsa, green chile salsa, and eggs and stir until completely combined.
- Now build your lasagna casserole: add a large spoonful of the taco/salsa mixture to the bottom of the greased dish, then put a tortilla on top. Then repeat that: meat/salsa mixture – tortilla, until no tortilla remain. Pour the remaining mixture on top.
- Place in oven to bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the middle is no longer jiggly.* Let casserole rest for 15 minutes to set before slicing.
While casserole is baking, mix together all the ingredients for the coconut sour cream.
Top casserole with garnishes before slicing and serving!
*Juli recommends placing a baking sheet in the bottom of the oven in case the casserole bubbled over while baking. It never did bubble over, but better safe than sorry.
Recipe by: Juli at Paleomg.com