Around here, we love all things red! 😉
These fantastic brownies are colored with beets, rather than harmful Red No. 40. While the natural color might not be as bold as artificial coloring would be, you still get a delicious brownie!
The brownies are best when slightly underdone leaving the middles on the creamy side.
Red Velvet Brownies
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup boiled beets, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons beet juice (for coloring – link to this post above)
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut milk, canned, full fat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups coconut palm sugar
- ⅔ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the White Icing
- ½ cup palm shortening
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8×8 brownie pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, or high speed blender, combine the coconut oil, beets, beet juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl combine the coconut palm sugar, blanched almond flour, arrowroot starch, cocoa powder and sea salt. Mix until fully combined. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the purified beet mixture in the middle. Mix until the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined. Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until baked through. Cool and then chill before applying the icing.
For the White Icing
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, cream the shortening with the honey. Add the salt and almond extract. Scrape the sides down and mix until fully combined. Slowly pour the melted coconut oil in as you whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag and apply to the brownies in a zigzag pattern. Enjoy!
Per serving: 238 calories, 14g fat, 113mg sodium, 28g carbs, 0g fiber, 14g sugars, 2g protein
Recipe by: Diana at Real Healthy Recipes