At Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, most people rely on old fashioned comfort food recipes. Instead, try this dish with all it’s sweet potato goodness but instead of marshmallows and other empty calories, this one is full of good for you ingredients.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- dash of salt and pepper
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned — about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, maple syrup salt, pepper and lime juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until all liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a casserole dish. Evenly sprinkle the ground walnuts on top.
- *Optional* If you want the walnuts to be toasty then place in the oven on broil for a few minutes.
Per serving: 193 calories, 7g fat, 78mg sodium, 28g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g protein
Recipe by: Diana Keuilian of Real Healthy Recipes