Why Organic Foods are Better for Your Diet

Many people have opted for organic produce and organic treats in an effort to better improve their health. You shouldn’t beat yourself up if you can’t make sure all your food is organic. Although eating 100% organic might not be a match for your particular lifestyle, most people can benefit by increasing the amount of organic foods they consume in their diet.

1. Organic food is lower in pesticides.

If an animal-derived food like meat, eggs, or dairy is labeled 100% organic, that means it’s antibiotics-free and doesn’t use artificial hormones. If you don’t stick with organic, you’ll get food made with chemical fertilizers that might also include synthetic additives and GMO ingredients in the supply chain (it could be in the animal’s feed). Organic food is also better for farmland as it’s free of pesticides. Pesticides have the unfortunate consequence of killing lots of beneficial bugs and bacteria in the soil. This loss of biodiversity can have adverse consequences for both the environment and people’s health.

2. Organic food has better nutritional qualities.

There’s some evidence supporting the consumption of organic food to lower risk of disease and improve overall health. The increasing use of large-scale factory farming means that there are fewer nutrients in the soil for these big producers. Small-scale organic farmers who take better care of their soil can produce fruits and vegetables with more nutritional quality. There are some caveats: a poorly-run organic farm will probably have poor quality food, so make sure you know the source of your organic food. Also, note that the loss of nutrition in fruits and vegetables becomes more pronounced as produce is left sitting in a warehouse or a store shelf. So instead of buying conventional food that is transported long distances, buy local organic food that is fresher because it’s grown closer to you.

3. Organic food excites the taste buds.

Most people can tell the difference between eating organic with some fruits and vegetables but not others. This will be a very personal preference among people as it depends on a particular person’s taste buds. Many people notice the difference of eating organic foods when it comes to bananas, blueberries, strawberries, bell peppers, citrus fruits, spinach, lettuce and tomatoes. Your sensory acuity for appreciating organic foods will gradually improve over time. When people start eating a diet consistent with a weight loss plan, they will start noticing how food tastes better compared to when they were eating a diet of mostly processed foods. My personal favorite plan is via Fresh N Lean with their meal delivery service, but there is quite a few available plans out there.
There is some organic produce where you can tell a difference in the quality right away. Sometimes it’s more important to pay attention to where you get your organic produce. That’s because not all of the organic farms you do business with are small time farmers. Many organic farms are big enterprises with poor soil conditions. When you’re at the store, shop for local food even if it isn’t certified 100% organic. That’s because some superb local farmers can’t afford the USDA certification but still produce good quality organic food.

4. Make sure the food you’re buying is really organic.

Being organic doesn’t mean that there are no pesticides used in a particular food. A food label that advertises “USDA Organic” only needs to have 95% of its ingredients be organic. The other 5% could be non-organic (and by USDA standards, the 95% that is organic could be sprayed with pest deterrents or other chemicals that the USDA thinks is safe). If the label says it is “made with organic ingredients,” it only requires 70% of the content to be organic. If your potato chips are made with oil that isn’t organic, that’s something to keep an eye on in your quest to eat healthier.

By: Guest Author Mikkie Mills

By | 2016-11-07T10:51:07+00:00 October 17th, 2016|Categories: Nutrition|0 Comments

Leave A Comment