Alyson Gore, one of our boot camp superstars, brings us another great recipe she created. This one takes advantage of the great fall root vegetable, spaghetti squash in a delicious, healthy and easy recipe. Use spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta.
Thank you Alyson!
Herb Spaghetti Squash
- 2 small spaghetti squash, about 2 1/4 lbs each
- TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 1/2 TBSP finely chopped mixed soft herbs, such as basil, chives, chervil, parsley and sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and place, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife.
- Turn squash over and cover with foil again and continue to cook another 15 minutes, until the squash is very tender.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and allow to cool slightly. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard. Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl.
- Heat a skillet. Add the olive oil, shallot and garlic, and saute until tender. Add in spaghetti squash, herbs, salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine. Serve immediately or cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
Recipe by: Alyson Gore