Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 35 min
- ½ pound bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon for second round of cooking
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 spicy Italian chicken sausages (Brat Hans brand are fully cooked), diced
- roughly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Place bacon in a dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until crispy, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove excess bacon fat, leaving behind about 3 tablespoons.
- Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Add cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt and garlic powder and mix with the onion. Then add broth and bay leaves and mix. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add bacon and sausages to the dutch oven along with ¼ teaspoon of salt, cover again and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove bay leaves before serving, garnish with fresh parsley!
Recipe by: Juli at Paleomg.com