Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 min
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ red onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup button mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup dill relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
For the caramelized onions
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- salt, to taste
For the garnishes
- ½ – 1 cup The Honest Stand Smoked Cheese Sauce*
- 2-3 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line a baking baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Place all bacon on the wire rack and into oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, until crispy. Place bacon on paper towels and then add 3 tablespoons of the rendered bacon fat into a large sauté pan – this will be used to caramelize the onions later on. Dice bacon into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together ½ the diced bacon, beef, pork, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, almond flour, mushrooms, dill relish, both mustards, salt and garlic powder and 1 egg. Use your clean hands to mix all of the ingredients until completely combine. Press mixture into a parchment paper lined 9×5 loaf pan (lining it with parchment paper helps with easy removal later on). Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, until the meat is completely cooked through in the middle to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- When the meatloaf goes in the oven, add the thinly sliced onions to the pan with the rendered bacon fat and turn heat up to medium-low. Toss onions in the bacon fat and let cook down for 30+ minutes. The slower they cook, the more they will caramelize and not burn. Toss onions every few minutes to help cook evenly throughout. Cook until sweet and brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and toss. Keep on low heat until meatloaf is done cooking.
- Once meatloaf is cooked through, let cool for a few minutes then dispose of the excess liquid left behind in the pan and remove meatloaf from pan.
- Pour smoked cheese on top of meatloaf, then top with caramelized onions, bacon, jalapeños and cilantro then slice up before serving!
*don’t have this brand in your area yet? that’s quite all right! top your meatloaf with Cassy’s Nacho Cheese instead!
Recipe by: Juli at Paleomg.com