Everyone wants to trim, tone, and tighten their waist and body, but the problem is most people just don’t burn enough calories during the day.
In some ways it’s really not your fault. You may work at a desk for 8 – 10 hours a day and have very few opportunities to get up and move around during the day. BUT, you can’t let that be an excuse for you not to burn more calories than you take in. I’ve found the best way burn some extra calories during the day is to have my clients get away from their desk for 30+ minutes during lunch. I encourage them to go for a brisk walk before sitting down to eat a healthy and nutritious meal. Even a 20 minute fast-paced walk gets the blood flowing and the metabolism raised. And, rather than getting together to eat and drink, use weekends for time to spend with family and friends and take on new adventures and activities.
You’ll also burn about 100 calories in that 20 minutes. (And who doesn’t want that?)
Also, I recommend that my clients look for other means (besides their actual workouts) to be active and burn calories in creative ways throughout the day and on the weekends. Here are 5 fun and easy ways to get up out of your chair, stretch your legs, and start getting fit.
Quick 100 Calorie Burners:
- Brisk Walking 3.5mph – only 20 minutes– A 20 minute walk may not seem like it would do much to burn calories, but it will. It’s not as effective as a full body workout, but it does meet the goal of helping to burn calories and providing a boost to your regular workout routine.
- Jumping Rope – only 10 minutes – This activity is fun and can be done anywhere. It doesn’t require anything more than a jumping rope and an open space.
- Kayaking or Lap Swimming – only 15 minutes – There are so many great places to get in the water in San Diego. You can run out to the ocean today and start swimming (I recommend wearing a wet suit) or rent a kayak from one of the many places available.
- Uphill Hiking – only 10 minutes – This is another one of my favorites. It’s hardly even a workout when your busy taking in all the beautiful surrounding.
- Yard Work – only 15 minutes – This is definitely one that we’d all like to hire someone else to do. But, think of the rewards to your curb appeal and your waistline when you’re slaving away pulling weeds, mowing the lawn and doing other yard related activities.
These are just 5 of the hundreds of ways you could be active and offset many of the calories you consume throughout the day. Of course, you’ll have more freedom to be creative with your workouts and activity level on your days off from work, but either way you can always fall back on jump rope or fast-paced walking.
These little “mini-workouts” can add up big-time too…Just one 100-calorie burner a day can equal 1 lb. a month in additional weight loss! That’s great when you think about it since all you really need to do is add an extra 10-20 minutes of healthy exercise to your typical day to lose another 1 pound a month. I hope these ideas started to spark your creativity and get you to think of new ways you can get up and get moving for an extra 20 minutes or so a day!