If you’re really into analytical data, monitoring progress can be crucial for seeing results! This is especially so if you sometimes lack in motivation. Studies have shown that individuals who keep track of their diet and exercise habits will see 2X the results of those who don’t. They will also reach their goals sooner! Time is not a luxury for many of us but fortunately technology saves the day! There are many apps out there that will basically do the work for us. Here are some of the best ones out there for fitness tracking (in no particular order):
5 of the Best Weight Loss Apps!
- Lose It – This weight loss app has been mentioned on The Today Show, CNN.com, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and the New York Times – that’s got to count for something, right?! Lose It consolidates your workout journal and food diary into one and also creates graphs based on your data to show how much weight you’ve lost for further motivation. It also estimates the calories required for you to lose weight based on your goal (from 0-2 pounds/week). While it can be a bit tedious keying in your foods, Lose It has an extensive library of generic foods as well as name brands and it has accurate calorie, carb, fiber, fat, sodium, and protein values. Oh, there’s a barcode scanner as well!! For exercise, your time, intensity, and calories burned will be tracked. It will also tell you how many calories left you have for the day, how cool is that? By setting up a loseit.com account and syncing your data, you can share results on Facebook and Twitter and connect with friends for even further support and motivation. Cost – FREE.
- Tap & Track Calorie, Weight & Exercise Tracker – This weight loss app may just take the cake (no pun intended) as far as calorie tracking goes. The database includes over 500,000 food items, 2,000 food brands, 700 restaurants, 180+ exercises, full screen graphs, BMI calculator, weight tracking, your daily caloric needs/limits, and of course information on fat, sodium, carbs, protein, sugars, and fiber. The difference between this app and most, if not all, others is that it works OFFLINE. This means you don’t need to have Internet connection in order to use the app. Lucky we don’t live in NYC and spend our commuting time underground but there are still plenty of other times where we might not get service. Problem solved! The NY Times and Harvard Health Publications thought so too. Cost – $3.99
- Calorie Counter Pro – Oh but wait, we found one more weight loss app that tracks calories offline! It also searches for foods while you type and has a barcode scanner to save you time, offers pin protection, and tracks up to 45 nutrients. Even your water intake is monitored! People have continuously rated this app extremely user friendly. Sync with your free account on MyNetDiary.com for Twitter integration, access to a community supported by a Registered Dietician, and the option to share your progress with family and/or your doctor, dietician, or coach. Other interesting features include before and after photos, daily step tracker, hours of sleep, and the choice of English or metric units. All of these features are additional to the 500 exercise choices, 475,000 foods, and weight loss planning. Cost – $3.99
- My Fitness Pal – An easy to use weight loss app that has a food diary and activity log which can be synced with Body Scales and the Fitbit smart Scale to measure weight loss and BMI is what you will find with this app. The food database consists of over 2,000,000 foods (that’s two MILLION) and your favorite items and recipes will be remembered. If you are creating a new recipe, just type in the ingredients and it will calculate all their nutritional contents. There is a strong sense of community with MyFitnessPal.com – you can connect with friends and easily track and motivate each other. Just read the reviews (average 5 out of 5)! Cost – FREE
- Noom – Noom prides themselves on the 20 million pounds lost by their users and for good reason. This weight loss app has been featured in the NY Times, Women’s Health, Shape, Forbes, and ABC News for its personalized and interactive weight loss plan, color-coded food logging system, an exercise tracker with real time GPS and a pedometer, and unique daily food and exercise tasks to help you get to your goal. Of the 40,000+ user reviews, 37,000 gave Noom at least a 4 out of 5 rating. Noom points and rewards along with reminders, social networking and educational articles are just what users need to keep their motivation HIGH and their weight LOW! Note: This is an Android app and cannot be downloaded on iPhones L Cost – Free; Pro – $9.99Don’t you worry, the top running, fitness, and nutrition apps lists are next! Choose what works for you and do your best to stick with it! You might be surprised… J